Friday, April 3, 2009

Promises Broken

"I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains tax, not any of your taxes. " President Barack Hussein Obama


Uh, what about indirect taxes? Guess he forgot to mention that one, but then again ANY FORM of tax increase would implicitly include indirect taxes wouldn't it?

I am not a smoker, I actually detest cigarettes, but the recent tax increase of .62 cents per pack of cigarettes is wrong in so many ways. First of all the President lied, he said that we would not see any form of tax increase. I know that I am allowing myself some liberty here when I make reference to his comments, but all kidding aside, who is going to feel the brunt of this tax? I guarantee you that it will be persons making less than $200,000 per year. The very people that he "made a firm pledge" to not tax. In fact this particular tax will affect disproportionately affect more poor persons than any other group of Americans.

In addition to having an impact on the wallets of those Americans making less than $200,000 per year, it will have an adverse effect on tobacco growers, and the last time I checked there are quite of few of those in Virginia. Therefore, as citizens of the commonwealth, a tobacco producing state, we are essentially getting a double whammy.

I hope that this is as bad as it gets but for some reason a tiny voice in my head keeps saying this is only the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment